Books can connect us with history in new and exciting ways. Each fiction book club series focuses on a subject related to the history of the Los Angeles region between 1830 and 1930. At each meeting we will play games, discuss plots, and dive into history.
You can join us for further discussion and explore additional resources on the Homestead Museum Fiction Book Club's Goodreads page HERE.
Fiction Book Club: Reading Right Now
Spring 2020: Generations
How does history trickle down from one generation to the next? Each month we will discuss a book about a fictional family confronting their future and the legacy of their past.
PLEASE NOTE: We will be meeting on Zoom for the remainder of the spring sessions. Participants can click HERE to register, or contact us at email@example.com to learn more or reserve your space.
• 6 to 8 p.m.
- February 19: Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- April 22: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides - NEW DATE. VIRTUAL MEETING.
- May 20: Show Boat by Edna Ferber - NEW DATE. VIRTUAL MEETING.
Upcoming Fiction Book Club Themes
Curious what is coming next? Look ahead a season or two to see what we will be reading in the future.
Summer 2020: And Then It Got Worse...
What do you get when you combine a historic disaster with a summer monster movie? Something better...or worse.
- June 17: Led to the Slaughter: The Donner Party Werewolves by Duncan McGeary
- July 15: Deck Z: The Titanic: Unsinkable. Undead by Chris Pauls & Matt Solomon
- August 19: Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal
Fall 2020: Literature of the Progressive Era
What do Teddy Roosevelt, food safety, and credit unions all have in common? The Progressive Era changed life in the United States and we plan to learn more!
- October 21: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (1906)
- November 18: Black Beauty by Anna Sewall (1877)
- December 16: The Iron Heel by Jack London (1908)
Past Book Club Themes
Did you miss a book club series? That's ok. These books stand the test of time and are great to read whenever you are looking for something new.
Fall 2019: Best Sellers of the 1920s
- October 16: The Sheik (1921) by E.M. Hull
- November 20: Wanderer of the Wasteland (1923) by Zane Grey
- December 18: Twilight Sleep (1927) by Edith Wharton
Summer 2019: History Mash-Ups
- June 19: Locked Rooms: A Novel of Suspense Featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes by Laurie R. King
- July 17: Black Hats: A Novel of Wyatt Earp and Al Capone by Patrick Culhane
- August 21: Django/Zorro by Quentin Tarantino, Matt Wagner
Spring 2019: The Birth of Noir
- February 20: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
- March 20: The Kept Girl by Kim Cooper
- April 17: Double Indemnity by James M. Cain
Fall 2018: WWI in Different Mediums
- October 17: Journey's End a play by R.C. Sherriff
- November 14: Goddamn this War! a graphic novel by Jacques Tardi and Jean-Pierre Verney
- December 19: All Quiet on the Western Front a novel by Erich Maria Remareque