Books can connect us with history in new and exciting ways. Each fiction and non-fiction book club series focuses on a subject that relates to the history of the Los Angeles region between 1830 and 1930. Museum staff will occasionally share items from the museum's collection that pertain to the subject of a book.
We ask that participants read the assigned book in time for each meeting.
Non-Fiction Book Club
Spring 2020: American Presidents
Friday, February 7
Friday, March 6
Friday, April 3-CANCELED.
- 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Free; space is limited and advance registration is recommended. Click HERE to reserve your spot.
February 7: Unreasonable Men: Theodore Roosevelt and the Republican Rebels Who Created Progressive Politics by Michael Wolraich
March 6: Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard
April 3: Warren G. Harding: The American Presidents Series: The 29th President, 1921—1923 by John W. Dean
Fiction Book Club
Spring 2020: Generations
How does history trickle down from one
generation to the next? Each month we will discuss a book about a
fictional family confronting their future and the legacy of their past.
Wednesday, February 19
Wednesday, March 18-POSTPONED. CHECK BACK FOR A NEW DATE.
Wednesday, April 15-POSTPONED. CHECK BACK FOR A NEW DATE.
• 7 to 9 p.m.
• Free; space is limited and advance registration is recommended. Click HERE to reserve your spot.
February 19: Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
March 18: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
April 15: Show Boat by Edna Ferber
Upcoming Book Club Themes
Non-Fiction Book Club
Summer 2020: Suffrage & Women's RightsJune 5: Feminism and Suffrage The Emergence of an Independent Women’s Movement in America by Ellen Carol DuBois
August 7: A Woman's Crusade: Alice Paul and the Battle for the Ballet by Mary Walton.
Fall 2020: Los Angeles
September 25: Married To A Daughter of The Land: Spanish-Mexican Women and Interethnic Marriage in California, 1820-80 by Maria Raquel Casas
October 30: American Character: The Curious Life of Charles Fletcher Lummis and the Rediscovery of the Southwest by Mark Thompson
December 4: A Bright and Guilty Place: Murder, Corruption, and L. A.’s Scandalous Coming of Age by Richard Rayner
Fiction Book Club
Summer 2020: And Then It Got Worse...
June 17: Led to the Slaughter: The Donner Party Werewolves by Duncan McGeary
July 15: Deck Z: The Titanic: Unsinkable. Undead by Chris Pauls & Matt Solomon
August 19: Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal
Fall 2020: Literature of the Progressive Era
October 21: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (1906)
November 18: Black Beauty by Anna Sewall (1877)
December 16: The Iron Heel by Jack London (1908)
Past Book Club Themes
Fiction Book ClubFall 2019: Best Sellers of the 1920s
- October 16: The Sheik (1921) by E.M. Hull
- November 20: Wanderer of the Wasteland (1923) by Zane Grey
- December 18: Twilight Sleep (1927) by Edith Wharton
Summer 2019: History Mash-Ups
- June 19: Locked Rooms: A Novel of Suspense Featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes by Laurie R. King
- July 17: Black Hats: A Novel of Wyatt Earp and Al Capone by Patrick Culhane
- August 21: Django/Zorro by Quentin Tarantino, Matt Wagner
Spring 2019: The Birth of Noir
- February 20: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
- March 20: The Kept Girl by Kim Cooper
- April 17: Double Indemnity by James M. Cain
Fall 2018: WWI in Different Mediums
- October 17: Journey's End a play by R.C. Sherriff
- November 14: Goddamn this War! a graphic novel by Jacques Tardi and Jean-Pierre Verney
- December 19: All Quiet on the Western Front a novel by Erich Maria Remareque
Summer 2018: A Fantastical Look at California
- June 20: Kindred by Octavia Butler
- July 18: The Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson
- August 15: The Lonesome Gods by Louis L'Amour
Non-Fiction Book Club
Fall 2019: California & the West
- October 4: California: A History by Kevin Starr
- November 1: The Fragmented Metropolis: Los Angeles, 1850-1930 by Robert M. Fogelson
- December 6: Kearny's March: The Epic Creation of the American West: 1846-1847 by Winston Groom
Summer 2019: US History: Race, Gender, & Modernity
- June 7: Rebirth of a Nation: The Making of Modern America, 1877-1920 by Jackson Lears
- July 12: Passion and Principle: John and Jessie Fremont, the Couple Whose Power, Politics, and Love Shaped Nineteenth-Century America by Sally Denton
- August 9: Slave in a Box: The Strange Career of Aunt Jemima by Maurice M. Manring
Spring 2019: Women: Politics, Religion, Vocation
- February 1: Women of Valor: Clara Barton and the Civil War by Stephen B. Oates
- March 1: Seneca Falls and Origins of the Women's Rights Movement by Sally Gregory McMillen
- April 5: Aimee Semple McPherson and the Resurrection of Christian America by Matthew Avery Sutton
Fall 2018: Varied Views of Los Angeles
- October 5: Towers of Gold: How One Jewish Immigrant Named Isaias Hellman Created California by Frances Dinkelspiel
- November 2: Whitewashed Adobe: The Rise of Los Angeles and the Remaking of Its Mexican Past by William Deverell
- December 7: The King and Queen of Malibu: The True Story of the Battle for Paradise by David K. Randall
Summer 2018: California's Nineteenth-Century Economy: The Big Picture
- June 1: The Age of Gold: The California Gold Rush and the New American Dream by H. W. Brands
- July 13: The Associates: Four Capitalists Who Created California by Richard Rayner
- August 3: River of Shadows: Eadweard Muybridge and the Technological Wild West by Rebecca Solnit
|Nonfiction Book Club - Suffrage & Women's Rights, Session 1 of 3||06/05/2020 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Fiction Book Club - Then it got worse..., Session 1 of 3||06/17/2020 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM|
|Nonfiction Book Club - Suffrage & Women's Rights, Session 2 of 3||07/10/2020 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Fiction Book Club - Then it got worse..., Session 2 of 3||07/15/2020 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM|
|Nonfiction Book Club - Suffrage & Women's Rights, Session 3 of 3||08/07/2020 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Fiction Book Club - Then it got worse..., Session 3 of 3||08/21/2020 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM|
|Nonfiction Book Club - L.A. History, Session 1 of 3||09/25/2020 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Fiction Book Club: Literature of the Progressive Era||10/21/2020 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM|
|Nonfiction Book Club - L.A. History, Session 2 of 3||10/30/2020 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM|