Books can connect us with history in new and exciting ways. Each fiction and non-fiction book club series focuses on a subject that relates to the history of the Los Angeles region between 1830 and 1930. Museum staff will occasionally share items from the museum's collection that pertain to the subject of a book.
We ask that participants read the assigned book in time for each meeting.
Non-Fiction Book Club
Women: Politics, Religion, & Vocation
Friday, February 1
Friday, March 1
Friday, April 5
- 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Free; space is limited and advance registration is recommended. Click HERE to reserve your spot.
February 1: Women of Valor: Clara Barton and the Civil War by Stephen B. Oates
March 1: Seneca Falls and Origins of the Women's Rights Movement by Sally Gregory McMillen
April 5: Aimee Semple McPherson and the Resurrection of Christian America by Matthew Avery Sutton
Fiction Book Club
The Birth of Noir
Wednesday, February 20
Wednesday, March 20
Wednesday, April 19
• 7 to 9 p.m.
• Free; space is limited and advance registration is recommended.Click HERE to reserve your spot.
February 20: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
March 20: The Kept Girl by Kim Cooper
April 17: Double Indemnity by James M. Cain
Past Book Club Themes
Fall 2018: WWI in Different Mediums
- October 17: Journey's End a play by R.C. Sherriff
- November 14: Goddamn this War! a graphic novel by Jacques Tardi and Jean-Pierre Verney
- December 19: All Quiet on the Western Front a novel by Erich Maria Remareque
Summer 2018: A Fantastical Look at California
- June 20: Kindred by Octavia Butler
- July 18: The Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson
- August 15: The Lonesome Gods by Louis L'Amour
Fall 2018: Varied Views of Los Angeles
- October 5: Towers of Gold: How One Jewish Immigrant Named Isaias Hellman Created California by Frances Dinkelspiel
- November 2: Whitewashed Adobe: The Rise of Los Angeles and the Remaking of Its Mexican Past by William Deverell
- December 7: The King and Queen of Malibu: The True Story of the Battle for Paradise by David K. Randall
Summer 2018: California's Nineteenth-Century Economy: The Big Picture
- June 1: The Age of Gold: The California Gold Rush and the New American Dream by H. W. Brands
- July 13: The Associates: Four Capitalists Who Created California by Richard Rayner
- August 3: River of Shadows: Eadweard Muybridge and the Technological Wild West by Rebecca Solnit