Books can connect us with history in new and exciting ways. Each fiction and non-fiction book club series focuses on a subject that relates to the history of the Los Angeles region between 1830 and 1930. Museum staff will occasionally share items from the museum's collection that pertain to the subject of a book.
We ask that participants read the assigned book in time for each meeting.
Non-Fiction Book Club
Varied Views of Los Angeles, 1850-1930
Friday, October 5
Friday, November 2
Friday, December 7
- 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Free; space is limited and advance registration is recommended. Click HERE to reserve your spot.
October 5: Towers of Gold: How One Jewish Immigrant Named Isaias Hellman Created California by Frances Dinkelspiel
November 2: Whitewashed Adobe: The Rise of Los Angeles and the Remaking of Its Mexican Past by William Deverell
December 7: The King and Queen of Malibu: The True Story of the Battle for Paradise by David K. Randall
Fiction Book Club
WWI in Different Mediums
Wednesday, October 17
Wednesday, November 14
Wednesday, December 19
• 7 to 9 p.m.
• Free; space is limited and advance registration is recommended. Click HERE to reserve your spot.
October 17: Journey's End by R.C. Sherriff
November 14: Goddamn this War! by Jacques Tardi and Jean-Pierre Verney
December 19: All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remareque
Past Book Club Themes
Fiction, Summer 2018: A Fantastical Look at California
- June 20: Kindred by Octavia Butler
- July 18: The Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson
- August 15: The Lonesome Gods by Louis L'Amour
Non-Fiction, Summer 2018: California's Nineteenth-Century Economy: The Big Picture
- June 1: The Age of Gold: The California Gold Rush and the New American Dream by H. W. Brands
July 13: The Associates: Four Capitalists Who Created California by Richard Rayner
- August 3: River of Shadows: Eadweard Muybridge and the Technological Wild West by Rebecca Solnit
|Nonfiction Book Club - Varied Views of Los Angeles, 1850-1930, Session 2 of 3||11/02/2018 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|The End of the Great War||11/11/2018 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM|
|Fiction Book Club - WWI in Different Mediums||11/14/2018 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM|
|Nonfiction Book Club - Varied Views of Los Angeles, 1850-1930, Session 3 of 3||12/07/2018 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Fiction Book Club - WWI in Different Mediums||12/19/2018 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM|